The St. Louis Cabinet Makers Joint Apprenticeship Program (CMJAP), sponsored
by the St. Louis Carpenters Joint Apprenticeship Committee, is designed to
provide the skills and knowledge involved in the manufacture of
architectural furniture, cabinets, trade show displays, and millwork. The CMJAP Apprenticeship Program is another great way to balance learning while
earning money working in the trade!
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Physically able to perform work of the trade
- Complete application process
- Application Process
- Indenturing Process
- Apprenticeship Process
- Apply in person at the CMJAP main office (see
St. Louis Cabinet Makers Joint Apprenticeship Program (CMJAP)
Nelson-Mulligan Carpenters’ Training Center
St. Louis, MO 63123
- Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except holidays) at CJAP. Applicants must present proof of age (photo ID) when applying.
- See if you qualify for entry into the Apprenticeship Program with Advanced Standings!
- There is no cost to an apprentice except for the processing fee, initiation fee, monthly union dues, and purchase of hand tools (see Apprenticeship Process).
- The cabinet maker apprentice starts the program as a first term apprentice and moves through the program to achieve journey level status.
- Each term consists of:
- Accumulation of 750 hours of on-the-job learning hours
- Two units of training completed at school
- Journey level status is obtained by earning 18 units and 6,000-8,000 on-the-job learning hours.
Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy As To Students
The Carpenters' Joint Training Fund of St. Louis admits students of any
race, color, national and ethnic origin to all of the rights, privileges,
programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at
its school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or
national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational
policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic
and other school-administered programs.
Bring letter of intent to CJAP along with $12 for the processing fee, Photo ID, and SSN card (after completing application) and the ability to produce a negative drug screen.
Bring an initiation fee payment ranging from ($25.00-$33.25) depending on your contractor.
- Sign Apprenticeship Agreement and Union Membership.
- Get scheduled for New Apprentice course.
- Report to job site.
- Obtain required tools (see Tool Tips and Lists).
- Start job. Add this note: Note: Employed apprentices are registered with the U. S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship.
- Report to Carpenters' Training Center when notified. Apprentices report to school for one night a week for a four-hour training session for 40 weeks. The class schedule begins in September and ends in June.
- Training and pay progresses as the apprentice completes “units”. (see Apprentice Upgrade Plan)
- Achieve Journey level status by earning 18 units and 6,000-8,000 hours on-the-job learning (approximately four years of apprenticeship).